Curtain Tortoise is the second level created by Joseph Staleknight for A Second Mario Bros. X Thing. It is currently in version Beta 1.1. There is one exit and a midpoint but no Raocoins.
It is available here.
The level is basically one giant vertical gauntlet of Goopas and other hazards, meant to bring to mind a Touhou level (although the mechanics are very different). There is a rest stop where one can find an extra mushroom, 1-UP, and midpoint, as well as a cat llama who sadly is unwilling to help the PC out.
Outside Assets and Modifications Used
- BG of main area from a painting by Hiraoka Masamune
- Marisa sprite from Touhou Hisoutensoku, ripped by DarkOverord
- Main Area: "Futatsuiwa From Sado" from the OST for Touhou 13: Ten Desires
- Rest Stop: "Dream Palace of the Great Mausoleum" also from Touhou 13: Ten Desires OST.
- Version Beta 1.1: Fixed a typo.
- Version Beta 1 (B1):
- Reworked the second half to be more fair to the player while still maintaining the requisite difficulty of World 7. (Among other things, no more donut cannons.)
- Fixed a potential issue with the pool (see Slide Like You Mean It).
- Version 2.0 (based on the original release, thus no more alt music):
- Made the chainsaws ungrabbable.
- Reworked an early part of the level to be more fair.
- Version 1.4a (Alternate of v1.4):
- Changed the BGM to "Dullahan Under The Willows." However, since this is just a music change rather than a graphics or level design change, the previous version (1.4) is still available.
- Version 1.4:
- Took out the secret exit on kikitami's advice. Currently planning on making a less repetitive secret exit.
- Version 1.3 (Pre-FINAL):
- Remade the last quarter or so of the level.
- Added a secret exit.
- Version 1.1:
- Changed the graphics for the Reimu-mobile's weaponry to chainsaws.
- Attempted to make second half more difficult given the tester feedback.
- Version 1.0: First version submitted to ASMBXT Wiki.
Known Bugs and Issues
- The Reimu-mobile will revert to a clown car once the PC gets in. Unfortunately, this issue is due to how SMBX was originally coded, and will remain as such unless SAJewers/Shaman can hack the approrpriate graphics in.
The Goopas that are not orange or dark blue have an odd blocky "aura" around them, most noticeably against the darker parts of the BG.
Marisa will only face in one direction.
- Introduce a secret exit that isn't simply a re-tread of the level.
Change the main BGM to another Touhou track ("Futatsuiwa from Sado" is already being used in freelop's Spin! Pierce the Heavens!)
Reviews and Comments
Please place all reviews and comments in this section.
- I think the idea is neat and the level is pretty fun. The custom background works great with adding to the atmosphere of the level. Learning the hitbox inside the Reimumobile/clown car was a bit frustrating, but I don't think there's really anything you can do about that. Adding the fire circle shooters added an interesting challenge to the second half and made me come up with a new strategy for dealing with the goopas, which kept the second half fresh (learning how unsafe I was near those fire circles actually caused quite a bit of the hitbox-learning frustration, but that was mostly because I didn't pay enough attention to them while rounding up/avoiding goopas). My only complaint is that the secret exit seemed superfluous. As far as I can tell, it is literally just playing the level twice, but toss the key on top of the Reimumobile before you go up the second time. --- If you want to have Marisa face both directions, set her Don't Move flag to Yes. That will make the NPC always face the direction of your character. The aura around the goopas seems to be an issue with the graphics in the dev kit, where the mask background is not perfectly white and the sprite background not perfectly black for some NPCs. -kitikami-
Judges, please place all evaluations here.Got no issues with this. Approving. Just note that Spin! Pierce The Heavens! uses the same music. If the music for neither level changes, one of the levels will have to have it's music cut and simply point to the msuic for the other level (to cut down on filesize). -SAJewers | 22:08 ADT, August 10, 2013
Review in Motion -Holy